Sunday, July 5, 2015

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship, by Robert Kursan

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate ShipPirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship by Robert Kurson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Ultimately, I was kind of frustrated with this book. I'm one of the people that is fascinated by the Whyduh pirate ship since seeing a special on TV about it, and I went to the exhibit when it came to Denver. The fact is, the Whyduh is still the only 100% proven pirate ship ever found.

This book is about the search for another pirate ship, The Golden Fleece. And while the clues and circumstantial evidence all point to this being the GF, the proof is not 100% there, since there is no real identifying item on the wreck (the Whyduh was identified by the ship's bell. Merchant ships, which is what the Golden Fleece originally was, don't typically have bells, and being a pirate ship in her final days, she's not going to have her name blazoned on much of anything else) that has been found to date. And since the wreck and all of its treasures are tied up in court proceedings due to financial and contractual differences between the 3 main players, if anything is there, it's not likely to be found. The fact that I got all the way to the end of the book before I found that out, left me feeling very let down. I was expecting pictures, or at least some description of what was found, but pictures are few and far between and the entire wreck wasn't even explored before litigation got in the way.

I also felt as though the author padded the book with a lot more background info on the main characters, in hindsight, maybe because the end of the story can't really be told yet? But really, I skipped through a lot of the padding, wanting to get to the wreck and what it held. Which again left me feeling let down, since THERE IS NO ENDING TO THE STORY!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment