Sunday, June 5, 2016

Chaos Choreography, by Seanan McGuire

Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)Chaos Choreography by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Verity, Dominic and the Aeslin mice are back! Does anyone else feel cheated that we didn't get invited to the Vegas wedding? Waking Up in Vegas (available free on http://www.seananmcguire.com/), stopped just short. Hopefully, there will be a short story about the actual wedding.

But I digress. Verity & Dom have finally made it to Portland and are settling in with the rest of the Price clan when she gets an email. Now Verity is dusting off her Valerie personality again and putting on her dancing shoes to get some personal closure. Instead, she and Dominic end up caught up with another snake cult, and this one is eliminating the competition, and real magic is involved.

I love Verity and Dominic, but I have to admit to being a bit disappointed. I saw the cover and thought it was Verity's little sister, Antimony, with them. Instead, Verity's grandmother has come to back V & D up.

This book had magic and mayhem, dancing and drama and of course the one thing you can always count on Verity for, violence. It was an enjoyable tale, but one that I felt was maybe missing a little something. I can't quite put my finger on what that something was, but it was enough that I walked away feeling a bit let down. And the snake cult do-over? Yeah, enough of that.

Of course, the ending points to a direct confrontation with The Covenant coming soon, so that will be interesting. (But I have one question after reading Waking Up in Vegas and now this book. If Vegas can repel The Covenant, why can't the rest of the big cites now? The American Cryptids know what's coming after all this time, just like the Vegas group did. Plot hole wide enough to drive a U-Haul through!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment