Monday, August 29, 2022

Other Birds, by Sarah Addison Allen

Other Birds

Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen 

My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was okay.

I've enjoyed every book by Sarah Addison Allen, but this one was absolutely my least favorite of the bunch.

It just didn't connect with me the way previous books have. It didn't enjoy the characters in this book nearly as much. Maybe because there were so many of them, shoe horned into the story. And so many issues in there as well. From hoarding and mental health issues, to past sexual assault and growing up in a cult, to child neglect. And of course, they all come together in the Dellawisp, and help each other heal?

As multiple other reviewers have said, I felt like this book meandered from character to character, while never really fully developing each one or really combining them all in to one complete story, and then BAM! The last few chapters suddenly things start happening and everyone comes together and it all just fell flat for me.

All in all, it had a few lovely moments and Allen is fantastic at description. I hope this book marks her return to writing and that there will be more from her soon.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley.*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment