Sunday, May 16, 2010

Jean Johnson

I just finished reading her Sons of Destiny series. I picked them up because I recently read another book by Johnson, Bedtime Stories. Bedtime Stories is very much a modern day, adult spin on classic fairy tales. I loved most of them, though a few were too hard core Science Fiction for me (I found Sleeping Beauty to be just plain weird, though I did like her role reversal).

So anyhoo, after reading BTS, I decided to look into the SoD series. I fought through all of them. There was just something about them I struggled with. Kelly, the heroine in the first book wasn't very likable and since she has a huge presence through out the entire series that didn't help things. And I found Amara, from the 5th book to be absolutely abrasive. I wanted better for Trevan :(

I found myself skipping huge chunks of each book. Out of the 8 books in this series I only completely read 7 and 8. For some reason those two caught my interest and held it all the way through. Book 7 I think was because I'd already had a glimpse of this couple from Bedtime Stories. By the end of The Mage I actually wanted more, lol. But not enough to make me go back and re-read the other 6 books.

To sum up, I highly recommend Bedtimes Stories. I found it to be an entertaining and classy take on light erotica.

The Sons of Destiny, I struggled with, not truly getting hooked in until the very end of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment