Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ozzy

I'm a metal fan, I admit it. And I loved Ozzy long before MTV started The Osbournes. So when I was at the library recently and I saw, I Am Ozzy I grabbed it up. I'd been looking for a biography on a person who was still alive for a reading challenge, so it was perfect.

And really, it was. The first page had me giggling,
"My father always said I would do something big one day. 'I've got a feeling about you, John Osbourne,' he'd tell me, after he'd had a few beers. 'You're either going to do something very special, or you're going to go to prison.'

And he was right, my old man.

I was in prison before my eighteenth birthday."

Ozzy got done for burglary, you see. He kept hitting the same store. The first night he forgot a flashlight and grabbed a load of baby bibs and such. Worthless. The second time he stole a TV, but it was too heavy for him and he pretty much ended up crushed by it and left it behind. the third time he managed to get away with some goods, but his gloves were missing a thumb, and they nicked him after he left perfect prints every where.

Ozzy's story is told with an irreverent sense of humor by a man who knows his short comings. He tells things as he remembers them, even if perhaps his memories might not match with everyone else (he's telling his story from the "jelly" that is his brain after all, lol). He's truthful about the dumb things and the bad things he's done in the past. He knows he's no saint. And he isn't afraid to laugh at himself.



Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't help myself, especially since he mentions the commercials in the book ;)

I giggled through out this book and totally enjoyed it. It's funny, it's shocking and in some places it's absolutely touching. If you like metal and you like Ozzy, read it. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment