Saturday, August 14, 2010

Waking the Witch

by Kelley Armstrong.

Definitely NOT my favorite book by this author. After the last Armstrong book I read, I was really looking forward to this one, but it disappointed me. The main character, Savannah, was cocky, and all together a Mary Sue, capable of everything except asking for help when she needed it.

This book also cut out other favorite characters and focused solely on Savannah. What the heck? Savannah has been in love with Adam since she was a young teen and we get a lousy phone call or two, and a cameo at the end? Most of Armstrong's books are paranormal romances with a mystery plot. This one is all mystery and as such I felt it was missing something. There are reasons people read series books, and the regular characters are usually the main one. I've never been a huge fan of series characters going off on their own and leaving the rest of the cast behind because it's the interaction between those characters that make the books wonderful. I had been looking forward to seeing the Savannah/Adam relationship develop, even if it didn't turn into a full-blown romance between the two.

This is definitely a book I recommend getting from your local library or waiting until it comes out in paperback. And if you are new to Armstrong's Otherworld series, don't start with this one. It's missing to many elements of what makes Armstrong's books a pleasure to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment