Monday, September 6, 2010

Books v. Movies

I've been reading Eat, Pray, Love this week and find it surprisingly good. Normally I give the super popular books a miss (Oh how I wish I had followed that pattern on the Twilight series. Why oh why did I waste my time on that drivel??) but I was at the library and it was on display, so I picked it up and read the back. Hmmmm.

It reminds me a bit of Under the Tuscan Sun so far, but then that could be because she's in Italy at the moment ;).

And of course they've just made it into a movie. Would I go watch it? Probably not. I tend to be very anti-movie when I've already read the book. Under the Tuscan Sun is one of the few movies I liked more than the book. But guess what? I watched the movie before I read the book! Same with the Mists of Avalon (despite the dreadful acting) I watched the movie, then struggled through the book. Despite a love for fantasy and for MZB's Sword and Sorceress books, I just can't say I feel the love for MZB herself.

But I couldn't even watch more than a few minutes of the second Lord of the Rings movie, and never bothered with the third. The first movie made me cringe all too often. Sorry, but there's a reason these books are classics, why change everything?? Oh, Liv Tyler is prettier than Glorfindel.... I get it. But I don't like it. And as a result I waited for the 2nd to come out on video, and boy was I glad!

Harry Potter started out well. But after Goblet of Fire I was so disappointed in the movies that I stopped watching. Actually, the disappointment may have begun with the limited Snape exposure in Azkaban. And the prime role of Snape in the book PoA is why I loved it so ;)

So what do you think? Read the book or wait for the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment