Friday, June 10, 2016

The Cracked Spine, by Paige Shelton

The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #1)The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I tried two versions of this book, an audio version and a hard copy. The audio drove me crazy with the fake Scots accent and pronunciation, I had to stop listening. The hard copy took me some time to get into, but I did end up liking the story.

It was a slow read, and part of that was the over-usage of the Scots dialect. We get it, Delaney's in Scotland, we know they speak with a burr, every word they say doesn't have to reflect that. I know that, really, I don't need you to use "ken" every other sentence, I don't particularly want to spend the entire book translating, ye ken?

I think the other part of my problem was wrapping my head around the utter ease that Delaney got permission to work in a foreign country, and then once there everything just fell into her lap. Getting a work permit is a long, time-consuming process. Asking me to believe she got one in a snap just stretches my belief a wee bit too far, then add in the cottage for rent at a price Delaney can easily afford, and yeah, I was having a hard time suspending my disbelief.

But: all that said, I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the setting and I can't wait to find out more about Delaney's Bookish Voices. I think with a bit more character development, it is a first in the series, after all, that this could be a fun series. I will be reading the second when it comes out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment