Monday, July 11, 2016

A Dark and Stormy Murder, by Julia Buckley

A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery #1)A Dark and Stormy Murder by Julia Buckley
My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was OK.

First in a series.

I had high hopes for this book, looking at all the 5 star reviews (though frankly there are some reviewers out there who seem to give everything 5 stars...), so I am kind of disappointed.

What I liked: The main characters. I like Lena and Camilla. They clicked for me.

What I didn't like: We were threatened with a love triangle.

What I did like: It was resolved at the end of the book, rather than left to drag on, and on, and on...

What I didn't like: This was a big one. Enough that I bumped the rating to a 2 star. The mystery within the mystery was interesting, but the ending pissed me off. Mystery partly solved, but now it's a bigger mystery and it might as well have, "To Be Continued" at the end of the book.

I'm sorry, but I find "cliff-hanger" endings to be a cheap money grab. Worried your series might not continue? Need to insure that the reader picks up the next book? Leave the ending open! The reader won't mind waiting nearly a year to find out what happens next, right? Yes, yes, I will mind. A lot. Previous series that have done this have lost me for good, (I'm looking at you, Debbie Macomber!) doing exactly this.

This series has now been relegated to my library list. I will pick up the next book, and give it a chance, but I'm not paying for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment