Saturday, July 9, 2016

Éclair and Present Danger, by Laura Bradord

Éclair and Present Danger (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #1)Éclair and Present Danger by Laura Bradford

My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was OK.

Book 1 in a new series.

Was this a mystery or a romance? There was a murder at the start, though it really gets swept under the rug for the most part, as the main character spends most of her time pulling together a new business and keeping her friends from pushing her at the first man available. And can I say for the record, the attitude of her friends, that she couldn't possibly be happy without a man in her life, really bugged the crap out of me the entire book?

I liked the premise (though starting a home baking business pretty much overnight seems a stretch, and if Winnie couldn't afford to keep her bakery open, where'd she get the money to kit out her ambulance?), it's a fun idea, even if most of the names of the desserts were on the corny side. And I liked Winnie. I mostly liked the rest of the characters, but found them to be a bit behind the times, shall we say. Even Renee, a young divorced mom, pushes men at Winnie, constantly. And we get that Lovey the cat doesn't really like Winnie. Enough already.

All in all, it's better than the previous book I read by the author, the first in her Amish mystery series, which was all too predictable, stereotypical and implausible. I will give book 2 a chance. But the mystery really needs boosting. Even if it's a cozy, the mystery still needs to be front and center. Less about Winnie's dating life and more "who done it?" And I didn't figure out who the killer was until the very end, purely because the killer was barely a blip in the book! And then Winnie has one of those too stupid to live moments that made me want to slap her.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment