Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Tough Nut to Kill, by Elizabeth Lee

A Tough Nut to Kill (A Nut House Mystery, #1)A Tough Nut to Kill by Elizabeth Lee
My rating: 1 of 5 stars, Did not finish.

First in a series. Pen name for Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli.

"I was already steeped in the heavenly smell of baking pecan pies and pecan drop cookies when I hurried down, worried, from my apartment over the Nut House, the store our family owned, to find my meemaw, Amelia Hastings, known to everybody in Riverville, Texas, as Miss Amelia, behind the counter, embroiled in her weekly tussle with Ethelred Tomroy."

Holy run-on sentence, Batman! Take a breath! That's your introduction to the book. The very first sentence. One word to describe this book? Wordy.

That first sentence/paragraph set the tone for the entire book for me. I just couldn't get past it. Or the very next one, which was almost as long. It only stopped to tell you that the speaker stopped to take a breath, haha. The entire book was like that. Loooooooooooong sentence, short sentence, looooooooooooooooooooong run-on sentence. Distracting. Enough so I couldn't get past the first chapter, so I never did get to the mystery.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment