Monday, August 22, 2016

America's Most Haunted Hotels, by Jamie Davis Whitmer

America's Most Haunted Hotels: Checking in with Uninvited GuestsAmerica's Most Haunted Hotels: Checking in with Uninvited Guests by Jamie Davis Whitmer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I liked it.

I love ghost stories, and I used to live in Estes Park, CO, home of the Stanley Hotel, which is widely known for its hauntings (and one of the hotels in this book). Because of that, when I found this book, I jumped at the chance to read it.

I do tend to be a wee bit skeptical about ghost hunters. Especially when they have something happen to them every place they go, but this book didn't disappoint. Jamie Davis Whitmer flat out tells her readers that hauntings aren't like a light switch, you can't turn them on when you want to. She admits it when nothing happens.

She can be a bit heavy on the "feelings" side, but not enough to make me do much more than roll my eyes. And I'm not a huge "flashlight as communication device" fan, since I've seen how easy it is to fake. For the most part, though, Jamie and her husband Bob are pretty straight forward.

One of the things I love about ghost stories is learning some of the history about the haunted location. The author gives a brief history of each hotel, especially as it relates to the alleged hauntings, separating what people can be verified through research and what is unsubstantiated tale.

I definitely recommend this book if you want a little something a little spooky with a bit of a history lesson, rather than something that will scare your pants off.

*I received an ARC of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment