Monday, October 10, 2016

Frontier Grit: The Unlikely True Stories of Daring Pioneer Women, by Marianne Monson

Frontier Grit: The Unlikely True Stories of Daring Pioneer WomenFrontier Grit: The Unlikely True Stories of Daring Pioneer Women by Marianne Monson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I liked it.

I live in the West, so stories about life on the Frontier fascinate me, especially stories about the women who braved long, hard, travels. The women in this book were all new to me, and I enjoyed learning about them and in fact may see if I can find out even more about a few of them.

What I did NOT enjoy was the author chiming in at the end of each chapter and blathering at me about why each woman was important and what she felt I should take away with me. It totally read like a high school essay, with the student trying to explain to the teacher why their essay was so good it deserved an A. After the first one, I just skipped them and moved on.

The author's style is a bit dry and academic at times, rather than that of a true storyteller, but for the most part I learned a lot about these women and enjoyed reading about them.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from the publisher, via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment