Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Death by Chocolate Lab, by Bethany Blake

Death by Chocolate Lab (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery #1)Death by Chocolate Lab by Bethany Blake
My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was just barely okay.

Book 1 in a series.

I loved the premise, but frankly, I didn't find the characters very likable. The main character, Daphne, came across as flighty and immature, and well, ditsy. Her sister, Piper, felt uptight and condescending and their mother was a snooty woman who obviously played favorites. Piper, of course, is the Golden Child, which gave me all the more reason to not like her.

Meanwhile, the reader is supposed to believe that Daphne has a PhD (even if it's in a "throw away" subject like philosophy) that took brains and commitment to get.

Add all that to the slooooow pace of the book and I really struggled to get through it. Towards the end things picked up, and that's the only reason it gets a second star.

Not sure I would bother reading the second book in the series.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment