Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bookstores

What makes a good bookstore? We have the big box stores around here, Barnes and Noble and Borders. I definitely prefer B and N over Borders. I really have a hard time finding things in Borders, and for some reason I find it awkward to browse there. And Seattle's Best Coffee is so bad that I don't even want to sit down in their cafe and browse. Very bitter. Because of this I tend to grab a book and go (Book 29, Never Been Witched / Annette Blair, this time).

At B and N we will normally browse a bit and then head to the cafe and get coffee and maybe a nibble whilst we read a chapter of the latest book to catch our eyes or page through magazines. Although I must admit, since the cafe stopped offering all of the Starbuck's menu I've not been nearly as fond of them. They don't stock the syrup flavors I like so I get grumpy, lol. (And I'm not sure what they do when they make their espresso, but the quality is never consistent, which is what makes me crazy about most coffee shops. Say what you will about Starbucks, but they are consistent. I like that I can get a mocha in Denver and a mocha in Podunk, Wherever and they will taste the same).

My favorite bookstore though, has to be The Tattered Cover. The feel of the place is unique. It feels like a cozy little bookstore but it's HUGE. I can't even put my finger on what it is exactly that I like about it, I just like it. Lol.

Anyhoo. What do you think makes a good bookstore?

No comments:

Post a Comment