Sunday, April 30, 2017

Magic & Mayhem, by Sharon Pape

Magick & Mayhem (An Abracadabra Mystery #1)Magick & Mayhem by Sharon Pape
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I liked it.

A fun series debut.

Kailyn Wilde inherits her magical potion shop from her mother and grandmother, though they're not entirely gone, since they visit regularly in ghost form.

What I liked: Kailyn, her aunt and the cats. The misfiring spells were also intriguing, though I felt at though we were kind of left hanging about them. Obviously, something is causing problems with magic, and I want to know what's going on, haha.

What I wasn't so "Wilde" about: Kailyn's ghosts. The constant bickering between them got old fast. Merlin. He comes off as kind of bumbling, rather than a great magician. And his refusal to understand that he couldn't use magic in front of others bugged me. Then again, did they ever explain to him how it could be dangerous to all of them to be exposed?

All in all, it was an amusing book that I enjoyed. The characters could use some fleshing out, maybe tone down the bickering mother/daughter ghosts and bring the issues with magic a bit more to the forefront, since I am not entirely convinced Merlin fixed the issue (and frankly, it would be too easy if he had!).

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment