Tuesday, April 25, 2017

No Charm Intended, by Mollie Cox Bryan

No Charm IntendedNo Charm Intended by Mollie Cox Bryan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Book 2 in the series.

I liked No Charm Intended better than book 1. I love the premise and the changing "cast" of characters each retreat is fun. The mystery was unusual and interesting, the activities fun and engaging.

But I found myself pulled out of the story by a few things:

I found the two main characters, Cora and Jane, at times totally interchangeable and got them confused, because sometimes one spoke so out of character that I'd have go back and re-read the passage to make sure I had the right person. Jane seemed to be more cynical and less trusting, and openly distrusted Paul, then suddenly she was crying because she was worried about him. Wait, what? Things like that happened several times through out the book, leaving me a little confused each time.

Jane and Cora have just started a business, money is obviously a concern, and yet they have meals catered? That doesn't seem practical. And what exactly does Cora bring to the retreats? She doesn't seem to teach anything, just spends her time blogging...

I'm also having a problem with the fact that Cora seems to have so many of the men in town attracted to her, including a married police officer. Because the love triangle isn't bad enough, Cora gets to be in a love square!

It was an enjoyable enough read that I will read book three, but I'd really like to see the main characters a bit more fleshed out and individualized in the next one.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the author*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment