Monday, October 30, 2017

The Secret, Book and Scone Society

The Secret, Book and Scone SocietyThe Secret, Book and Scone Society by Ellery Adams

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First in the series.

I am a big Ellery Adams fan, so I wanted to love this book. It was a good start to a new series, and I liked it, but I didn't love it. I had a hard time connecting with the main character, Nora. She was quite stand offish at first (for good reason, but still...) and yet intriguing. I wanted to know more about how she ended up in Miracle Springs. I loved the premise that Nora could help people by finding them the right books to read and a scone to eat.

I liked Nora's character growth as she hooked up with three other women, all with secrets of their own. They all had to learn to trust as they formed true friendships and solved a murder. It was very emotional and real.

After I got a few chapters in, it was a quick read and I finished it in a day.

But... I think this book tried too hard to be too many things. Is it a cozy? Chick lit? Magical, like a Sarah Addison Allen book? Romance? As a result it felt a little scattered.

That said, I am looking forward to the next book.

*I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley.*


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment