Monday, March 26, 2018

The Haunted Heart of America, by Logan Corelli

The Haunted Heart of America: In-Depth Investigations of the Villisca Ax Murder House, Myrtles Plantation and Other Frightful SitesThe Haunted Heart of America: In-Depth Investigations of the Villisca Ax Murder House, Myrtles Plantation & Other Frightful Sites by Logan Corelli

My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was okay.

I love ghost stories and paranormal shows on TV. I didn't love this book though. The locations were interesting, but the writing wasn't. And I was completely turned off by some of the author's comments, especially in his first paragraph about their Waverly Hills investigation, "...and the talented Michelle (who was the most beautiful investigator I had met at the time)." Seriously?! I did a mental double-take. Absolutely unnecessary to comment on someone's appearance!

I struggled to get through the rest of the book, only plowing through the Villisca Axe Murder House and the Myrtles Plantation (The Myrtles actually tripped a pet peeve of mine, presenting Folklore as fact.) because both locations are fascinating to me, but they didn't really contain anything new.

I did like the fact that Corelli was up front about one ghost hunting trend, the pay to play locations. This is a good thing, so we can all look at any "evidence" a little more skeptically, since it's in the locations' best interest to be haunted.

All in all, the writing didn't really draw me in, and I didn't really feel like the book added any new information or evidence of the paranormal. It certainly didn't feel "In-Depth."

*I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley.*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment