Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Murder by the Book, by Lauren Elliot

Murder by the Book (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #1)Murder by the Book by Lauren Elliott

My rating: 2 of 5 stars. it was okay.

Book one in a new series.

This book is very much focused on introduction and building relationships among the main characters.

There was A LOT going on in this book, and a lot more that I suspect will be followed up in additional books. The mystery the book centers on is a bit convoluted and complex and I felt as though all the relationship building was a bit distracting. It comes off more as a romance with mystery elements thrown in.

My biggest complaint though, is that there was too much unrealistic behavior going on for me to be able to completely suspend my disbelief and sink into the story. For instance, a brand new business owner who leaves her business almost entirely in the hands of her newly met and hired shopkeeper while she runs around solving a mystery. Most small businesses fail in the first year, as a result, most small business owners are pretty much shackled to their business, trying to keep expenses down. Even if the money came from an inheritance, it still seems far-fetched. Add in the chief of police having to arrest his own sister and not being ethically required to turn the investigation, at least officially, over to someone else and I just couldn't help but shake my head.

Hopefully now that a lot of the relationship framework is established, book 2 can concentrate on the mystery.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, via NetGalley.*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment